Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sony Bluetooth Headset SBH20 - From Funny Bunny Point of View


Sick of the stock headset provided from Sony together with my Xperia SP, so I decided to get a new headset to replace it instead. There are of course many choices out there in the market, but still, I'm more towards using wireless option. Sony has always been making some good bluetooth headset, so I decided to stick with Sony and get a SBH20. There's another offering at the moment, SBH50 which shows caller ID, track informations and etc, but I don't really need those, so I opt for the cheaper SBH20 instead.


First up, the connectivity. You may connect this headset through Bluetooth 3.0 pairing, or you can tap it to your phone through NFC for immediate pairing. It is a great idea, but there are still some hiccups once in awhile on the NFC. In ideal condition, you just need to tap your phone on the headset, and it will automatically pair the devices in a few seconds. Sometime it takes a little longer, and sometime it doesn't pair after the first tap, and you have to tap it again... but once it is connected, everything seems to be working well so far without signal dropping halfway through. Anyway, I believe all these are more towards software refinement, it can certainly be better and improve in the future.


After pairing, now let's enjoy some music. You will get the usual play/pause, next track and previous track, and volume control on this headset. So there's not much a problem to navigate through them. The sound quality of the headset is very good. I would say great if compared to the stock headset bundled with my Xperia SP. Nice quality sound with balance overall output... which is just what I wanted as I don't want to use bass heavy headset. The body itself act as a clip, so you can clip it anywhere on your shirt while leaving your phone in your bag, or you can enjoy using the phone without the need to worry the wire tangling here and there, extremely helpful when you are travelling in a crowded bus or train.


Next, the hands free talk quality. While it enjoy some amazingly sweet sound when playing music, receiving a call through it is another story. It's not to say the quality is poor, but as compared to listening to music, you can definitely feel the difference. The voice quality is ok, although it can definitely be better. It's not that loud, but at least it is clear enough to be heard... All in all, the scoring for this part is just average. The battery life is fairly acceptable. I have been using it daily for at least 2 hours a day listening to music and receiving a few calls, it can last me almost the week with one charge. All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase and I have been enjoying this headset very much. I really would recommend people to get one of these instead of tangling all the wires here and there on your phone. It's time to free up yourself!