Sunday, September 15, 2013

It's all about iPhone this September

People tends to classified me as Apple fanboy, while actually I'm not. I'm not iSheep that says "if only Apple make this, this will surely be better". Although I do own an iPhone 5, iPad mini and Macbook Pro Retina Display, but the reason I bought all these gadgets are simple: they suit all my needs and requirement, perhaps desire as well. 

It all started with the Macbook Pro. My first ever Apple product. I have been searching up and down for the ultimate laptop which doesn't feel cheap with plasticky build, not bulky, packs with great specs that I can use for my video watching and photo editing. During that time around, 1080p Full HD screen is still rare in the market. Ultrabook at that time is still pack with moderate spec but hefty price tag. In the end, I got my eyes on the Macbook Pro and after some deep consideration and try out, I decided to go for it. It's not an easy decision to make as I need to jump from Windows to OS X platform. But in the end, I must say I'm glad I have made the correct decision. For the price I paid, is well worth every penny of it. Nice retina display screen, great track pad that you will not find in any other Windows laptop out there, simple OS environment and etc has made me so into it and forget about Windows.

The next thing I got was the iPhone 5. I was hunting for new phone that time around when it was announced. I have been using Android phone from Froyo to Gingerbread, from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich. The phones I bought are from the mid range, and I must say I really fed up with the lag, hang & glitches of Android, not to say the lag of software upgrade and the same app can be so different in feel and usage between different devices. Talk about fragmentation. So with my good experience on Macbook Pro, I decided to get a try with Apple on the phone as well. And yes, once again Apple didn't disappoint me... well, maybe they did, but I can tolerate with that. Sure iOS has a lot of limitation, you can't customized everything, you can't easily get pirated apps, you can't do this and do that. But still, ultimately I'm sold to iOS for it's performance. Despite iPhone always carries lower spec that other competitor, it never fails me in terms of software operation. Everything is just buttery smooth, and those iSheep would say: "it just works!". Hardware side I'm also enjoying the thin, light and aluminium casing of the iPhone 5, although I do would comment like others: if only it can be slightly stronger in resisting to dent.

And I got myself an iPad mini as birthday present from my sister (thanks) in order to replace my Galaxy Tab 2 7". It's not a tablet with high end spec, so I must say I can forgive it to be a little slow at times. But once the Jellybean update comes to the tablet... everything starts to become broken, so broken that I decided to revert back to Ice Cream Sandwich through custom ROM. During that time of purchase, there isn't much choice for a table with 7" in size. So I force myself to live with it for about a year until I finally can't stand it anymore... and just nice for the timing when I get the iPad mini as present. This is not a perfect tablet either, but the build quality of the tablet and of course, iOS environment has made me forgive some of it's shortcoming (slow processor & low res screen).

Fast forward to today, I just gone through the Apple Keynote. I must say the presentation is boring. I can't feel any energy from what those guys from Cupertino delivered. But the new iPhone 5s indeed is a great phone on paper. Whether or not it will live up to expectation, I shall only be able to tell after being able to get my hands on one. Yes, I'll be getting one since I have given my iPhone 5 to my girlfriend. Currently using a mid range Android Xperia SP, I must say the more I use, the more I miss iOS. Yes, indeed there's a lot of so called "feature" in Android, but at the end of the day, with so much feature but the phone can't perform and live up to the standard... there's simply no meaning on it. Well, maybe because I have never own a high end Android phone before, but if you can only get the best with the best specs inside (just like running Windows PC), then I'll probably pass and stick with iOS, which can run smoothly and get the job done as well.

Like I said, I choose my preference based on my requirement and priority. And it happens that iOS is the better choice for me, so naturally I can only go for iPhone and iPad since no other things on earth run this software other than them. There are still many products from Apple which I think is not worth to get (yet) such as Apple TV (which I really hope they can do something about it, this is a device with such great potential but now it only has limited functions), Apple Magic Mouse multi touch is great but the design of the mouse is simply not ergonomic, iPod Touch is a bit "redundant" for me as everything it do, it can be done on iPhone... Maybe there will be some improvement in Android KitKat, but for now, I had enough of Android's buggy, laggy and sluggish operation and going back to my gated garden wall of iOS ecosystem...

No comments: